Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sun-Dried Tomato Breakfast Casserole

Here is the Egg and Sun-Dried Tomato Breakfast Casserole that I brought to school recently.  I’ve had some requests for the recipe.  I love sun-dried tomatoes and knew there would be a breakfast casserole recipe on the Internet.  I just Goggled  “sun-dried tomato breakfast casserole” and this popped up.  Magic!  I also did a little Jerry-rigging and I’ll include that also.  I doubled the recipe to take to school.  I think a single recipe would have worked because I brought some home.  You can find this recipe yourself at youvegotsupper.com. 

Notes:  Walmart does not always stock sun-dried tomatoes.  This time I bought, and substituted, sun-dried tomato spread.  I thought it worked fine.  I substituted ¾ cup of milk + ¼ cup of butter for the whipping cream which I didn’t get home from the store.  Now I see on the Internet, that I could have substituted more Half N Half.  I thought the recipe was too rich with the butter.  Next time, I would try putting a layer of frozen hashed brown potatoes under the custard-like casserole.

Ingredients
1 lb. sausage
¼ c. shallots, chopped (I substituted onions)
2 gloves garlic, minced (I used powdered garlic)
½ c. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4 tbsp. parsley (fresh), chopped (I omitted)
5 large eggs
3 large egg yolks (I just used 6 eggs for the whole recipe)
1 c. half n half (I used fat-free)
1 c. whipping cream
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
½ tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Butter 13X9X2 inch baking dish.  Sauté sausage over medium heat until brown and cooked through, breaking into small pieces.  (I did this step in the microwave). 

2.  Add shallots and garlic.  Sauté until softened. 

3.  Add sun-dried tomatoes and 2 T. parsley.  Stir 1 minute.  Spread sausage mixture in prepared dish.  You can make this one-day ahead.  (I did it the night before and assembled that morning.)

4.  Whisk eggs, egg yolks, Half N Half, whipping cream, 1 ½ cups cheese, and salt in a large bowl.  Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in prepared dish.  Sprinkle with remaining ½ c. cheese and 2 T. parsley.

5.  Bake until top of casserole is golden brown and knife inserted the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before service. 


1 comment:

  1. 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 cups half-n-half, 5 eggs plus 3 egg yolks, yowza and yum.

    ReplyDelete