Monday, August 29, 2011

Shrimp Tostadas, Another Dump Recipe

This dump recipe got a “This is fun!” rating from my husband!  I’ll be making it again.  Maybe I need to change the name “dump recipe” to “Jerry-rigged recipe”, but that would be disparaging to all the Jerrys in the world, wouldn’t it?  Today I’m going to give you two recipes.  One recipe is my inspiration and the second recipe is my successful, Jerry-rigged recipe (translation: the recipe made with what I had in my cabinets and frig).  The real recipe is from Eat What You Love and Lose from Family Circle magazine.  This is a recipe book that I stole from my mom on my last trip home.  I love recipe books and have finally realized that with each recipe book is the irrational belief that the new book comes with a chef.  It’s not really true, but I fall for the idea with every new book.  So here we go with the real recipe.

The Real Recipe
Corn-Shrimp Tostadas

12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
¾ teaspoon salt
1 can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
¾ pound cooked, shelled shrimp, chopped
2 small jalapeno chiles, cored, seeded and chopped
½ small red onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped freish cilantro
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise dressing
1 tablwespoon water
1/8 teaspoon liquid hot-pepper sauce

1.  Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place tortillas in single layer on 2 baking sheets.  Coat with cooking spray.  Flip tortillas over, coat with spray.

2.  Bake to 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned, flipping tortillas over once.  Transfer to wire rack.  Sprinkle each with pinch of salt, ¼ teaspoon total.  Let cook completely.

3.  Mix corn kernels, beans, chopped shrimp, jalapeno, and onion in large bowl.

4.  Whisk together lime rind, juice, cilantro, sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, mayonnaise, water and pepper sauce in small bowl.  Spoon over corn mixture; stir gently to combine.

5.  Divide corn mixture among baked tortillas, about 1/3 cup each.  Serve immediately.

Whew!  I don’t know what you think about it, but I think that is a long list of items.  I do sometimes make recipes with such a list, but after a long day at work, that does not always interest me.  I did not have a lime, or corn.  While I love onions, I have some onion-haters in my house.  I know.  Sad.  I did have a can of black beans, but I also had black bean and corn salsa.  I had the corn tortillas.  We had never had tostadas before.  Eureka!  

So here’s my version of the above recipe.  To give credit where credit is due, I would not have created my recipe without reading that recipe. 

My Dump Recipe
Salsa Shrimp Tostadas

shredded cheese, probably about 1 cup
12 corn tortillas (I probably had 9)
1 cup cooked, shelled shrimp, chopped
¾ cup of your favorite salsa

1.  Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place tortillas in single layer on 2 baking sheets.  Coat with cooking spray.  Flip tortillas over, coat with spray.

2.  Bake 6 minutes.  Remove from oven, flip, and lightly sprinkle with shredded cheese.   Bake another 7 minutes or until lightly browned.  Transfer to wire rack. Let cool completely.

3.  Mix salsa and chopped shrimp.

4.  Let people load up their own tortillas at the table. 

How I lowered the sodium level:
1.  Corn tortillas are very low in sodium.
2.  I added no salt to the recipe.
3.  Swiss cheese can be used rather than cheddar.
4.  Fruit-based salsa will be lower in salsa than an all vegetable-salsa.  

Now, I agree, this was a flash of brilliance, but what’s for supper tomorrow?




No comments:

Post a Comment