Monday, November 7, 2011

Wonderful Weekend!

 Let me tell you, that amazing woman who DID NOT HAVE A JOB this summer, has disappeared.  I love being off in the summers and pretending I’m retired.  The house stays clean, especially more so as AT gets older.  I cook.   I create.  I read.  I blog.  I smile when I go to bed because I don’t have to get up in the morning.

That woman has disappeared.

I am ashamed to tell you how often I do not cook.  My house is undone.  I stare at projects.  I let the frig get empty.  I smile on Saturdays and don’t do as much as I should.  At this time of year, if I cook and clean the kitchen, I consider myself gifted!

Now, to change the subject, weeks ago, I had an amazing weekend with my mom and two sisters.  (My mom is my editor and has corrected some of my writing with rules that I did not know.  If you see typos, they are MINE, not hers).  It was a significant birthday for my youngest sister.  My middle sister came up with this plan.  We met in Little Rock and stayed at a bed and breakfast.  So. Much. Fun!  We ate, shopped, and talked and talked.  We saw the Designing Women house, the Governor’s Mansion, and many other grand homes.  Our B & B
(http://www.rosemontoflittlerock.com/) was in the Designing Women house neighborhood.   This was the first time that AT had declined to go on a big trip with me.  Sniff, sniff!  But I adjusted and enjoyed my five-hour solitary drive to Little Rock. 

At one point, when all the ladies were in the same car for the first time, I clapped my hands in joy.  My sister said, “That’s just what Mother did when we left home.”  The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!  A later fun moment was when my mom said the trip made her feel so young.  On Saturday afternoon while we were at the River Market, one sister said, “Maybe we should go back and rest.  Maybe Mother would if we did.”  So I said, “I think I could go take a nap.”  Mother burst forth, “You can take a nap when you get back home!”  So much for slowing down for her!

Unexpectedly, Saturday revealed itself to be a theme day.  We went to the Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site.  Go to  http://www.nps.gov/chsc/index.htm for more information.  Then, that night, we all saw the movie The Help for the first time.  I was awed by the day, by the heroes at Central High School and by the heroes portrayed in the movie.   So many heroes have passed before me.  I have never been called to that level of service.  I wondered all day how I would measure up under those circumstances.  Since we pass through Little Rock several times a year, I plan for EM and AT to see the site also.  Although you can spend longer, it is possible to get a good sample of what the historic site offers in an hour or so.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your blog very much. Especially like to read your recipes. elo

    ReplyDelete