Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Crunchy Spinach Casserole

This is what I'm making for our Thanksgiving dressing.  I have made it several years and LOVE it.  EM just discovered that he liked it last Thanksgiving, darn.  I have tried to modify the recipe to make it more healthy, but you cannot omit the butter (I tried).  I'll put my modifications below.  You know that spinach dip you eat at parties when you'd like to drop your chips and just dig your spoon in and stuff it in your mouth?  Or lay down and roll in it?  That's what this tastes like.

(For my family, I love Grandmother's dressing and can make it, but no one here is interested.  I'll just have to wait for a big family gathering for my next GM dressing.)

Crunchy Spinach Casserole
from A Taste of Georgia

Oven:  325 degrees for 20-30 minutes                      Yield:  8 servings

30 oz. frozen chopped spinach                              
8 oz. + 3 oz. package cream cheese (use separately, I use reduced fat)
1/2 + 1/2 stick butter (do not omit)
juice of 2 lemons
salt (I omit)
black  pepper
ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dairy sour cream (I use reduced fat)
1 1/2 cups dry herb stuffing mix

     Cook the spinach according to package directions.  I use the microwave.  Drain very thoroughly.
     Combine in a saucepan the 8 oz. package of cream cheese, 1/2 stick of butter, all but 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice, salt, black pepper, lots of ground nutmeg, and drained spinach (or do like me and do it in the microwave).   Stir until smooth and divide in half, set aside.
     In a separate bowl, combine the 3 oz. of cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and white pepper.  Stir until smooth.
     Place half of the spinach mixture in a well-buttered 2 quart casserole.  Top with all the cream cheese mixture.  Add the second half of the spinach mixture.
     Sprinkle the stuffing mix over the top and drizzle over the stuffing the remaining 1/2 stick of melted butter (you must do this!)
     Bake casserole at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment