Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chinese Cabbage Salad


Another dump recipe.  You don't see me posting homemade bread on here, do you?   I call it a dump recipe because I use the bag of pre-chopped cabbage.  Recently, much to my chagrin, there was no bagged cabbage at the store and I surely wasn’t going to stop at another store on a100+ degree-day.  So I chopped a head of cabbage in my food processor.  My life is so hard!

Anyway, here is my dump Chinese Cabbage Salad recipe.  I had the recipe for a long time before I made it, because I just couldn’t imagine putting uncooked Ramien noodles in it, but, boy, was I wrong!  It’s great.  The crunchy noodles work like crunchy croutons.  If you want to make it ahead of time, keep the cabbage/sauce mixture and the noodle mixture separate until just before serving. 

Chinese Cabbage Salad

Mix:  1 bag chopped cabbage
         1 bunch green onions, chopped

Combine and brown:              1 T. canola oil (use more if needed)
                                                1 oz. sesame seeds
                                                2 pkgs. Ramen noodles with seasoning packets

For sauce, combine and cook 1 minute:                         ½ cup sugar
                                                                                    ¼ c. vinegar
                                                                                    ¾ c. canola oil (may use less)
                                                                                    1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Let the noodles and sauce cool.  Mix the cabbage, sauce and noodles, 20 minutes before serving.

Tip for the sesame seeds:  If you buy them in the spice section at a regular grocery store, they are much more expensive than if you buy them in bulk at a health food or specialty store.  I don’t know why.

Excuse me, I have some of this stuff to eat right now in my frig!  Buh-Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment