Saturday, March 24, 2012

5 Tips for the School Special Education Team


As a speech-language pathologist, I work in a school that I love and have enjoyed watching us teachers struggle, grow with, and enjoy the various challenges in an inclusive school.  I know that the teachers don't always consider it fun, since having a special needs child in the classroom can be very challenging, but, since I can have the privilege having the students move from grade to grade,  I can really see the progress.     As the elementary speech-language pathologist, in the same school for 13 years, I see how students, teachers and programs mature and change over the years.  Some things we get wrong, some things still need to be changed, but, many things, we get right.  Today's blog is a list of suggestions for school special education teams gleaned from my years of experience as a speech-language pathologist.
  1.          There is a reason for the word "team".  I would like to think that I have thought of every strategy, method, and reinforcement, but, the truth is, I haven't.   And I can't.  I consider myself an "expert" in several areas.  However, I use the word "expert" in what I consider the best way to use it.  I am expert enough to know that there is always more information that I need.  I can see over the hill that there is more to learn.  I am often stumped for ideas.  There is always a better way to do  it.  There is always something I don't know.  I constantly look for better, more efficient, more effective.  Many days, I fall short and my team mate may be just the person with the right answer. 
  2.      The parents are the primary members of the team and their child is the center of the IEP (Individualized Education Plan).  You may be an expert in your specific area, but the parents are the experts concerning their own child.  Recognize that expertise.   Encourage parents to tell you "no" if you suggest something they do not like.  Ask for ideas.  Ask for approval.  IEP's can always be altered and changed.  For the "young" parents, new to the process of an IEP (Individualized Education Plan), they are still not comfortable.  They need to learn to feel their comments and ideas are welcomed.  If you as the parent are unhappy in October and you don't complain, you'll be more unhappy in January.  The problem will be compounded.   Call the principal.  Call for a team meeting.  Speak up.  One of my roles is to encourage the parents speak up. 
  3.      As a special education team member, I have responsibilities to the classroom teacher.   The most obvious one is to share expertise and strategies.  However, often, our very experienced teachers are doing an excellent job, more effective as I can imagine.  Over the years, I've come to see debriefing as an important part of my job.  Teachers know they are charged with the duty to help the child change and grow.  They feel the pressure to help their student progress.  It is not a comfortable place for the teachers to be when they have a student who is not progressing quickly enough.  Teachers look to me to have the answers, even when I know I don't have the answer.  I need to tell that teachers that changes don't always happen in a week.  But changes do happen.  I reassure the teachers that they will be amazed at the progress they will see over a longer period of time.
  4.      Inclusion is critical.  The classroom is the yardstick of typical behavior for the teacher.  There are a wide range of typical student behavior and typical academic development.  For example, all students do not learn to read in Month Three of first grade.  The teacher looks to the classroom to decide how to push her students.  What are typical first grade study skills?   How well should a kindergartener sit a circle time?  How many math problems should a fifth grader complete in 10 minutes?  A student with special needs may not have typical behavior, study skills, or math skills.  However, by using the "classroom yardstick", the teacher knows what the target is.  The first grader who cannot complete the first grade work, may be able to work for five minutes.  The special needs kindergartener may sit for 5 minutes at the first of the year, then work to sit the required 10 minutes by the end of the year.  In the experience at our school, we are surprised with just how much progress can be made over a year.  The expectations are high and typical classroom skills are always the target.  When a student is in a fully self-contained classroom, the classroom teacher does not have that typical behavior "classroom yardstick". 
  5.      Watch your team for personality conflicts.  Here I'm thinking of parents  and specific school team members conflict.  It happens.  Sometimes one team member is more empathetic with a specific parent than another.  A parent may object to a specific school team member for some known or unknown reason.  There are times for a school team member to be quiet.  

Give yourself credit.  You have loads of experience.  Reassure the parent about your experience.   Reassure the parent that you fully expect their child to make good progress.  Consider yourself an expert in the best sense of the term.  You are expert and know what you are doing, but you are also expert enough to know that there are always new skills for you to learn, new strategies to try.  You're part of a team.  

No comments:

Post a Comment