Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Bit of Dancing History


Way back in the 80s, when I was living in Madisonville, Ky, I visited the Club Trocadero once or twice.  It was located in Henderson, Ky, near the Ohio River.  As it turns out, I was visiting a bit of history that was only reopened for about six months in the early 80s.  At that time, I loved to dance, but was not a ballroom dancer.   I will never forget that dance floor.  In my memory, that dance floor was as large as a football field and I've always wanted to return.  The floor could hold 220 couples dancing at a time.  Jim and I now go to a dance club that is packed with 100 couples.  How I would love to be on an uncrowded, larger dance floor spinning around the floor!  This photo below must have been taken during the short time the Troc was reopened in 1981.


When our group decided to drive up to the Trocadero, we told the dad of one of our group that the Trocadero had reopened for the first time since closing in 1951.  His wide-eyed reply told everything.  "The Troc?  The Troc!!"  The Troc in its day was the most glamorous and scandalous thing going, dancing, big bands, and lots of illegal gambling.  The gambling was what led to its closing.  You can read more details here:  Club Trocadero

The art deco style was beautiful.  As I remember it, there was an upstairs room with a string quartet, a lounge area to get food, then you emerged onto the large dance floor.  Of course, when I was there, there were no big bands, just DJ disco.

In the 90s, the building burned in a fire, another bit of the past gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment