Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ballroom Dancing and Marriage

EM and I have been ballroom dancing for almost 6 years. We started to prepare for our niece’s wedding, and got hooked. We agree that we are so lucky to have found a hobby that we enjoy together, that is good for us physically and mentally. We do not dance competitively. The dancing you watch on Dancing With the Stars is choreographed. We are not nearly that skilled and do not do choreographed dance. We dance traditional ballroom dancing where the man leads and the woman follows. However, our experience has some similarities with DWTS. You know when DWTS shows the difficult moments practice session with the stressed out performers? Oh, yes, we've been there many times. The longest our dance classes have been is two hours, and EM and I have each looked at the other person's glazed expression at the end of the class and said, “You're toast!”

So, ballroom dancing and marriage, you ask? I consider myself to be an independent person. I didn't get married until I was almost 30. I moved across country by myself to a new job. I bought a house by myself. EM and I consult each other with every major decision in the household. So the concept of the husband LEADING and my FOLLOWING, was initially hard to accept. After 25 years of marriage, EM and I have learned to depend on each other, but this was a whole new level.  There are times to empty yourself and follow your partner.

Tomorrow night, we are going dancing!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend an evening with someone you love! Dance on darlin'!

    ReplyDelete